Installation of SG-215D4 Hardware with operant chambers using DIG-716 modules

MEDState Notation Repository Forums Hardware Help Archive Installation of SG-215D4 Hardware with operant chambers using DIG-716 modules

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Med_Support
    gwilkins

I have 2 operant chambers I am attempting to setup in the lab my hardware is as follows,

an SG6510D box containing 4 DIG-716B cards which I already have up and running with 4 chambers.

Box 5 and 6 have a DIG-716 card and 2 DIG-726 interfaces each. I cannot find any information or documents regarding the wiring of the 716 and 215D4 boxes together. Of course there are no useful manuals available and I cannot get any outputs beyond the main 8 on the 716 working. the operant chambers both have 3 ENV-124AM response keys with lights. The MedPC hardware config utility has no setting regarding the 215D4. the description states it is passive but how do I setup the outputs beyond the 8 on the main interface.

Med_Support
    M Winzenburg

Hi Greg,
    You have a rather unique custom setup, so before I explain how to configure it, I’ll try to explain the SG-215D4s. These passive panels have 32 ports which can be used with up to 2 SuperPort cards. The confusion is because the panel is labeled “Inputs” on the left side, and “Outputs” on the right side. While they can be used with a combination of inputs and outputs, they can also be used with all inputs or all outputs.

In your case, in addition to your 1 DIG-716 4IN/8OUT SmartCtrl cards for chambers 5 and 6, you also have 2 SuperPort Output cards for chamber 5 and 2 SuperPort Output cards for chamber 6. Connect the first DIG-726 card to the top DB-25 connection on the SG-215D4 panel for Box 5. Connect the second DIG-726 card to the bottom DB-25 connection on the SG-215D4 panel for Box 5. In the same way, connect the DIG-726 cards to the SG-215D4 panel for Box 6.

Each SG-215D4 will then connect to the output wires of the 3 ENV-124AM Pigeon Keys per chamber. Each of these pigeon keys has 12 outputs each consisting of multi-colored lights. Since you have only 32 possible ports, you will have to determine which lights you want to use and connect them accordingly. This step can be completed later, if necessary.

Now that you have your hardware set up, you need to add the DIG-726 SuperPort Outputs to your configuration file. From what you have described, it sounds like you have your SmartCtrl cards set up correctly. However, since you are using more than one type of output card, you would need to select Define -> Outputs (Custom) and configure the additional 32 outputs for chambers 5 and 6 manually. If you have questions on how to manually configure outputs, let me know and I will describe in further detail.

All SmartCtrl and SuperPort cards have a pre-set output port of 792, so it is the offsets that would need to be set correctly in order to get the cards to work. Keep in mind that the offsets go up by 2 per card, and they must also match the jumper or dipswitch setting on the card.

Your cards have been set as follows:
    Box 5 – SmartCtrl Offset 8
    – SuperPort (1) Offsets 10/11
    – SuperPort (2) Offsets 12/13

Box 6 – SmartCtrl Offset 14
    – SuperPort (3) Offsets 16/17
    – SuperPort (4) Offsets 18/19

Once you get the hardware properly configured, you simply refer to the output number in your program. While boxes 1 through 4 have 16 outputs each, Boxes 5 and 6 have 40 outputs each. The outputs for your boxes 5 and 6 would be as follows:
    1 – House Light Operate
    2 – Clicker Operate
    3 – Grain Feeder Operate
    4 through 8 – Not Used
    9 through 40 – Pigeon Key Lights as determined by you

I realize this is a fairly complicated setup, so please do contact me if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
    Mary

For the sake of clarity, I should also add that SmartCtrl cards do not connect with SG-215D4 panels. These panels are for use with SuperPort cards only. The DIG-716 SmartCtrl cards connect with SG-716 connection panels only (1 card to 1 panel).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Hardware Help Archive’ is closed to new topics and replies.